Photo by Gerry Hunt


A blockbuster first half secured Exmouth all three points at Southern Road as they beat Evesham 4-1 to continue their strong start in the Pitching In Southern League Division One.

Three goals in five minutes saw Town race into a 3-goal lead, with Aaron Denny opening the scoring, followed by an own goal and a spectacular strike from Jordan Harris.

Evesham pegged the hosts back with a penalty in the 26th minute, but a Levi Landricombe goal just before half time wrapped the game up for Exmouth.

The opening ten minutes was a feeling out process, as both sides looked to create openings out wide.

Aaron Denny and Owen James’ crosses for both the home and away side respectively asked questions of both defences, but they were answered emphatically.

Denny kept on creating problems for Evesham early on, and he eventually opened the scoring 14 minutes in, as a fantastic through ball from Ace High was dummied perfectly by Landricombe, allowing the winger to slot past Fraser Barnsley.

It would not be long until Town doubled their lead, as pressure on the visitor’s defence forced them into a risky back-pass, which went over the goalkeeper’s head and trickled into the back of the net.

While that goal was lucky, there was nothing lucky about the third goal as Jordan Harris saw Barnsley off his line and attempted an audacious lob, which proved successful and put Exmouth in full control just 18 minutes in.

Evesham were understandably shell-shocked but received a chance to get a goal back as James was taken down in the box, earning his side a penalty, which was converted by Kyle Belmonte.

The Robins comeback attempts were dealt a major blow in the 26th minute, as Luca Smith’s late challenge just outside the box on Levi Landricombe saw him receive a red card.

Landricombe was keen to punish the 10-man Evesham and just before the break he got his wish, as he ran through on goal, and despite Barnsley initially foiling his plans to round him, the striker kept his composure and fired the ball into the top left corner to send Exmouth into half time on a high.

The second half proved to be a much calmer affair, with Evesham controlling possession but failing to create many major chances.

Landricombe had two opportunities early on two get his second, but his lob was wide of the mark, and a fierce volley from outside the box went just wide.

Captain Dave Rowe prevented Evesham from mounting any sort of fight back, as he stood tall on the line to head clear a looping Evesham header.

Exmouth’s chances were few and far between in the late stages of the game, but with six minutes to go, only Fraser Barnsley stopped Town from securing a fifth as he made a superb double save from Dean Billingsley and Callum Shipton, respectively.

This result sees Exmouth go second in the table as they now look forward to welcoming Westbury United to Southern Road on the 24th of September.

Reader Interactions

Leave a Reply

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website: Find out more.