Exmouth Town struggled to break down a firm Westbury United defence as they were held to a goalless draw at the Circle of Care Community Stadium.

In a battle between two newly promoted Pitching In Southern League Division One South sides, neither were able to open the deadlock.

The visitors started the brighter as Robert Powell was forced into an early save from some early Westbury pressure.

Exmouth had their first chance after 10 minutes, as an Aaron Denny through ball almost found Levi Landricombe, but instead rolled into the arms of Mark Bowden.

In a quiet first 20 minutes, the only other chance of note was a Ashton Shanley strike which was blocked by Mark Riddell, preventing a certain shot on target.

Westbury should have taken the lead after half an hour, as Harvey Flippance was played through on goal, but a last-ditch Riddell block stopped the striker from opening the scoring, which was followed-up by some desperate defending from Town, which halted any other chances.

It was the away side creating all of the chances in the first half, as a fierce drive from Stephen Hulbert forced Powell into a great save.

Exmouth started the second half well, as Jordan Harris headed down a long-ball into the path of Ace High, but his strike couldn’t quite sneak in at the near post.

Charlie Walton threatened to open the scoring for the hosts after 57 minutes, as he beat two Exmouth defenders, but his shot met the side netting.

Aaron Denny was the bright spark for the hosts, and it was him who forced Bowden into his best save of the afternoon, as he dribbled past two players and fired a low, long range-effort, which the goalkeeper brilliantly saved.

Any real attempt of creating anything from either side was often halted by a foul or misplaced pass, leading to a frustrating last 20 minutes.

Both defences stood firm to ensure that nothing went past them, with Dave Rowe and Dan Cullen heading plenty of long-balls and crosses away.

It was Exmouth who had the last two chances of the game, as on the 73rd minute Denny’s powerful strike looked destined for the net, but unfortunately for Town, it struck Cullen on its way to the goal, sending the ball back where it came from.

The last chance summarised the game relatively well, as with just five minutes remaining, some good Exmouth build-up play landed into the feet of Jordan Casey, whose cross was headed down by Landricombe into the path of Lever, but a last-ditch tackle prevented any shot from occurring.

LINE UP: Powell, Walford, Riddell, Landricombe, Rowe, Cullen, Denny, Shipton (Lever, 69), High (Casey, 75), Harris, Slater (Steer, 88). Subs not used: Gillard, Billingsley.

Reader Interactions


Leave a Reply

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website: Find out more.