Exmouth Town manager Kevin Hill was happy with his side’s second half performance as they came from behind to beat Cinderford Town 2-1 at the Circle of Care Community Stadium.

Goals from Aaron Denny and Jordan Harris continued Town’s excellent start to life in the Southern League Division One South.

Speaking shortly after the game, Hill said: “We didn’t start right today, I could sense it in the warmup, and it’s one of those where there’s too much laughing and joking before the game, and everyone was just off it, including myself.

No complaints about the penalty, but in the first half we just defended and defended, we didn’t even look a threat going forward, which we usually do, I put it down to a lack of work rate, there were a few off it in the first half, you saw in the second half with a little more intensity we got back into it, a bit more togetherness.

First half we were all over the place, defence were too deep, the midfield were too far apart, we weren’t picking up the second balls, we weren’t putting balls in over the top, nor holding it up and second half we were so much better.

It still wasn’t perfect, but it was a stop start game, and we could have come away with a few more goals at the end of the game.

If we don’t work, and we had one or two who thought they could coast, instead of really wanting to win the ball and get amongst it, we have to work, we have to press, if we aren’t going to put 6/7/8 passes together and go forward, if the ball over the top isn’t working, it comes down to effort.

I was looking at us in the first half, and we head the ball out, and we are breaking, but we still have four guys that are just ambling out, and we go up front and we’re just ambling back, usually we’d be working hard to track back and working our socks off it.

We do have it in our locker, but at the end of the day we got the win, and we’ve done our job.”

Despite a poor first half, Town were able to get the win, thanks to another superb strike from Jordan Harris. Hill believed that his side’s work ethic was the key to getting another three points under their belt.

“It’s a great finish, on his left foot, he’s seen the ‘keeper and just bent it into the top corner. We were right behind it, and as soon as it left his foot we knew it was going in.

I thought they were good today, their striker was a tough player to defend against from open play and set pieces, but yet again it took a penalty for a team to score past us, which is quite pleasing.

Aaron (Denny) took the game by the scruff of the neck, and he did try to make things happen in the first half, and he got his just rewards in the second half by scoring his goal and he just kept things moving for us.

Karl Riddell at the back, he doesn’t always play left-back but he played really well, put his body on the line, made some crunching tackles to take us forward and that’s what we are about.

To be honest, I couldn’t find much out about Cinderford, so it was a little bit unknown for me, so we were finding out about them during the game.

We never know how we are going to turn up to a game, we can be fantastic one week and the same 11 can play the next game and be totally different, as you saw first half today.

But credit to them, I had a little bit of a shout at half-time, told some home truths, I’m not saying we were great second half but we got the job done.

Two goals, and we could have had more.”

This win keeps Exmouth Town in second place, as attention turns to next Saturday’s trip to Lymington.

Reader Interactions

Leave a Reply

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website: Find out more.