Exmouth Town continued their fine form as they battled to a 2-0 win away at Lymington Town in the Southern League Division One South.

The hosts went down to ten-men in the first half as Luke Churchill was dismissed for an off the ball incident, ten minutes after Matthew Frederick denied Jordan Harris from the penalty spot.

Town kicked into gear with 12 minutes to go, as Levi Landricombe opened the scoring, and the visitors settled the game via Mark Lever.

Lymington had the first attempt of the game as after eight minutes, as a Luke Churchill corner floated into the path of Ryan Batley, who’s ambitious overhead kick was straight at Robert Powell.

Exmouth had their first chance as Ace High flicked on a deep free kick into the path of Jordan Harris, who’s near post effort was just wide of the mark.

It was the visitors who had the first real chance to open the scoring as Ben Steer drove at the defence and was brought down, but the referee opted against giving a spot-kick, so Levi Landricombe crossed the ball in, and that was handled by a Lymington defender, giving Town a penalty.

Unfortunately, Matthew Frederick guessed the right way from Harris’ penalty, and got down well to his right-hand side to make the save.

The referee had another decision to make eight minutes later, as an off the ball incident between Churchill and Harris led to the former seeing red.

However, the 10-men of Lymington battled hard and saw out the first half and had a good chance to open the scoring two minutes after the break, as a looping Craig McAllister header was just wide.

Exmouth were close to opening the scoring three minutes later, as some good link-up play between Ben Steer and Harris saw Steer cut the ball back to Landricombe but his effort bobbled up at the goalkeeper.

There was a worrying moment for Town as Dan Cullen went down after a collision, but the defender was able to walk off and be substituted.

The away side were slowly but surely growing into the game, and were almost one-up with 25 minutes to go, as a Harry Walford long ball fell into the path of Landricombe but a heroic tackle from Ryan Hughes prevented a certain goal.

Lymington almost opened the scoring with 15 to go, as McAllister played a lovely ball into the path of substitute Dylan Walker, but his volley flew over the bar.

They would pay for that miss just three minutes later, as Jordan Harris flicked the ball into the path of Landricombe, who rounded Fredericks and slotted into an empty net.

Town would double their lead with six minutes to go, as a Ben Steer free kick was whipped into the near post, and Mark Lever was there to flick the ball home.

It could have been four by the end of the game, as Landricombe went through on goal twice during injury time, however he would have to stick with the one goal as his first attempt was denied by Frederick’s and his second was over the bar.

LINE-UP: Powell, Riddell, Walford, Lever, Rowe, Cullen (Slater, 59), Denny, High, Harris (Bissett, 81), Steer, Landricombe. Subs not used: Hil

Reader Interactions


Leave a Reply

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website: Find out more.