Exmouth Town manager Kevin Hill was proud of his team efforts, after they were defeated 1-0 by Frome Town in the Southern League Division One South.

Exmouth played 75 minutes with centre-back Dave Rowe in goal, following an injury to Robbie Powell in the first half.

Unfortunately, Rowe was beaten after 43 minutes, as Sam Teale headed the ball home as we was left unmarked from a corner kick. 

Despite their best efforts, Exmouth couldn’t find an equaliser, which puts them on a run of four straight defeats in the league, although they can take a lot of heart from their performance, especially in the second half. 

Speaking shortly after the game, a frustrated Hill said: “I’m disappointed, but I thought the lads gave everything in the second half.

Losing a goalkeeper after 15 minutes, and Rowey (Dave Rowe) going in goal.

They got the goal just before half time, a free header from a corner, Rowey isn’t going to come for it.

We pushed them up in the second half, the lads were brilliant in the second half, the way we fought, the way we pressed.

Without officials, the game doesn’t happen, but they were poor today.

They should have got a red card, but you can see how that decision riled up our players, he lost control of the game, the way challenges were just flying in.

The elbow on Callum (Shipton) in the middle of the park, he’s swung his elbow back and caught him on the head, he’s got stiches on his eye, even they think he’s off.

He’s given a free-kick to us but said it was a clash of heads, so it’s a clash of heads, why’s he giving a free-kick to us?

Their was incident where one of their players has kicked out at Ace (High), and the linesman has said he’s gone, but the referee has come over and told them to calm down, but it’s now changed from a kick-out to a flick out.

I don’t usually say this after defeats because we have been poor over these last few weeks, but we were up against it today.

He let so many challenges go today, it’s only a matter of time before someone breaks their leg.”

Despite his frustrations with the officials, Hill was happy with how his team applied themselves in the second half. 

“We controlled the second half, but we just needed to get that goal, we had a goalmouth scramble but it didn’t come, and I suspect if it did, they would have found a way not to give it.

We had a bit of fight today, and that was back to the old Exmouth.

Back in their faces, pressing, putting a tackle in and we haven’t shown that sort of bite for the last month or so.

But it took a few referee decisions to get to that point, so he may have actually done us a favour.

I’m proud of the lads for the second half, Rowey, a stand-in goalkeeper didn’t have to make a save.”

Exmouth will look to halt their league losing streak as they welcome Bashley to the Circle of Care Community Stadium on the 19th of November (3pm KO). 

Reader Interactions

Leave a Reply

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website: Find out more.