Photo by Gerry Hunt

A late Ace High header helped Exmouth Town rescue a point at the Circle of Care Community Stadium, as they drew 2-2 with Slimbridge in the Southern League Division One South.

Jordan Harris opened the scoring for the third consecutive game, but goals from Dale Evans and Ethan Dunbar meant that Town were heading to a disappointing defeat at home.

However, with five minutes to go, a James Richards free-kick was met by Ace High, and his header looped into the back of the net to ensure the hosts left the game with something to show for.

It was a fast start for Exmouth, as after just five minutes, Jordan Harris scored his fifth goal in three games, as he got on the end of an Ace High header, and looped his effort over the head of Lewis Adams. 

Unfortunately for Town, the lead lasted for just ten minutes, as a superb run from Edjidja Mbunga was rewarded, as his pass found Dale Evans, who’s deflected effort ended up in the bottom right corner. 

Despite two goals being scored early on, it was a relatively uneventful first half, with both sides struggling to put together any real moments of quality. 

Ben Steer had a chance to put Town back in front after 26 minutes, but his right-footed strike was well saved by Adams, who got down well to deny the winger. 

Once again, both sides failed to create anything of note, with semi-regular fouls and yellow cards being the main feature of the last 20 minutes of the half, which ended level.

It was the away side that came out of the blocks quickest in the second half, and could have gone in front if it wasn’t for a Jordan Casey blocked, as he denied Rudi McKinnon’s effort from heading on target. 

Slimbridge took advantage of their early dominance after 57 minutes, as Ethan Dunbar ran through on goal and brilliantly placed the ball over the head of Robbie Powell, which put the visitors in front. 

Exmouth had a half-chance to level the game, as a corner ended up at the feet of Mark Lever, but his shot at the near post was denied by Lewis Adams. 

The hosts had plenty of corners and free-kicks, but often failed to find an Exmouth head in the box, with crosses either ending up in the goalkeeper’s arms or past the man at the far post. 

Once again, fouls and yellow cards dominated the action in the second half, with Slimbridge’s cynical but well-timed challenges halting Exmouth’s play, but earning them a few bookings in the process. 

Town struggled to create any chances throughout the second 45, with an Aarron Denny curled effort, which was comfortably saved, being the best they could muster.

That was until the 85th minute, where a floated free-kick from James Richards came into the path of Ace High, who floated a header into the back of the net, levelling up proceedings.

The goal sprung Town into life, and they almost had a winner just two minutes later, as Aarron Denny glided through the Slimbridge defence, but his shot was saved by Adams. 

Exmouth will be back in action on Wednesday, for the second of four consecutive home games, as they welcome AFC Totton to the Circle of Care Community Stadium (7:45pm kick-off). 

LINE-UP: Powell, Walford, Lever, Rowe, Casey (Billingsley, 83), Richards, Shipton, Denny, High, Harris, Steer (Slater, 79). Subs not used: Wright, Hill.


Reader Interactions

Leave a Reply

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website: Find out more.