Exmouth Town were defeated 1-0 by play-off chasing Hamworthy United at the Circle of Care Community Stadium, following a second half goal from William Fletcher. 

It was a turgid affair throughout, as both sides struggled to put any chances of note together, with neither side able to create many chances. 

The first 15 minutes were quiet, with both teams mustering up a half chance each, as James Richards prevented Hamworthy from breaking through on goal, and Ace High’s cross just missed the feet of Jordan Harris. 

With 20 minutes gone, Aarron Denny had a go on goal, as the ball bounced out to him outside the box, but his half volley was over the bar.

Exmouth did have the ball in the back of the net after 28 minutes, as Denny and Jordan Harris played a one-two from the former’s corner, and his cross was perfectly in line for Ace High who’s header was bundled in, but the attacker was deemed to have fouled a Hamworthy defender. 

There were ten minutes remaining in the first half when the visitors had their first real chance to go in front, as a quick free kick from Curtis Young caught Town off guard, and Christopher Clarke’s first time effort hit the bottom of the post and bounced out.

That was it in terms of chances in the first half, as both sides failed to break down their opposition defences with any consistency. 

Jordan Harris did have a free-kick just before the end of first 45, but his 25 yard effort was drilled wide of the goal. 

The second half started much in the same vein as the first, with nothing happening.

That was until the hour mark, where the away side burst down the right wing via Drew Eccott-Young, and his cross found William Fletcher, and despite a superb save from Robbie Powell, the ball unfortunately fell straight back to the striker, who smashed the ball into the roof of the net.

Five minutes later, the Hammers did go down to ten men as Sam Griffin received his second yellow card, following an unfortunate but late challenge. 

Town gained momentum following the dismissal, with Tommy Scott making a superb save to deny Ace High, as a Ben Steer cross met the Town attacker, but the goalkeeper did really well to deny High’s diving effort.

Exmouth struggled to get near to breaking down the Hamworthy backline for the next 15 minutes, as misplaced passes and some miscommunication in attack led to a frustrating period for the home side.

However, Town stuck through the tough period and were able to create a big chance on the 88th minute, as Denny’s cross couldn’t quite find High, and Richards got onto the loose ball to cross it back in, but Mike Landricombe’s couldn’t quite get his first for the club as his header was wide. 

Exmouth had the last chance of the game, as Harry Walford drilled the ball into High, who took the ball well and beat his man, but his effort dragged wide of Tommy Scott’s goal.

Exmouth will have a chance to put things right next Saturday, as they welcome Lymington Town to the Circle of Care Community Stadium. 


LINE-UP: Powell, Casey, Richards, Landricombe, Gardner, Denny, Shipton (Riddell, 77), High, Harris, Slater (Walford, 77), Billingsley (Steer, 66). 

Reader Interactions

Leave a Reply

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website: Find out more.