A poor second half cost Exmouth Town their place in the FA Cup, as they were beaten 2-1 by Falmouth Town, at Bickland Park.

Ethan Slater opened the scoring after three minutes, but a dominant 20 minute period was as good as it got for Town, as goals from Tom Annear and Luke Brabin sent Town crashing out of the cup.

Exmouth got off to the perfect start, as a Callum Shipton cross found Slater, and his shot trickled into the back of the net.

Determined not to let up, Ben Steer found the run of Aarron Denny, but as he took aim from a tight angle, the goalkeeper was there to deny him.

Denny had the better of the Falmouth defence, as he turned provider to pick out Steer, who took aim, and although his shot was saved, it found the foot of Slater, who couldn’t react quick enough to get his second.

Falmouth started to find their footing in the game, and looked to take aim from range, as Jacob Grange took advantage of a miscommunication between Harvey Field and Dave Rowe, but the winger’s effort flew over the bar.

The home side, energised by the loud backing of the F-Troop, took control of the game, as captain Annear found himself in a ton of space to shoot, however, the defender could only find the top of the stand.

Mike Landricombe, Field and Slater all had to be called into action to prevent a goalmouth scramble from occurring, and Andrew Sowden was ready to save a shot directly aimed at him.

Exmouth did have one final chance in the first half, as Steer floated a corner into the path of Ace High, but his header was straight over the bar.

Denny proved to be the thorn in the side of Falmouth going into the second half, as he burst forward with the ball, but often he was left without any onrushing attackers to help him, as seen when he tested the home goalkeeper with a stinging effort from range.

The Town striker once again found space, and this time joined by Landricombe, who couldn’t quite replicate the goalscoring exploits of Levi, and failed to make a strong enough connection with the ball.

Warning signs started to show for Town as the hosts started to regain control of proceedings, with a cross flying past Sowden, and luckily past two Falmouth attackers.

With 15 minutes to go, Exmouth failed to listen to previous warnings, and left Annear with too much space on the edge of the box, and this time he picked out the top left corner to level the game up.

Sowden had to be called into action once again, this time diverting a corner directly onto the woodwork, which bounced out and was subsequently cleared.

Brabin would almost score the winner as he beat his man to fire over from close range, and the debutant Town keeper was once again forced into action to deny a fierce effort from range.

Unfortunately, Brabin would get another opportunity to score the winner, and he took his chance after the ball was drilled into the box, and the striker was on hand to divert past a helpless Sowden.

Falmouth almost made it three as Luke Barner burst through on goal, but Town’s young shot-stopper made another superb save to deny the substitute.

LINE-UP: Sowden, Casey (Lever, 71), Field, M.Landricombe, Rowe, Gardner, Denny, Shipton, High (Anker, 83), Slater, Steer (L.Landricombe, 83).

Reader Interactions

Leave a Reply

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website: Find out more.