Exmouth Town battled to a 1-1 draw against Evesham United, in their Southern League Division One South opener at the Circle of Care Community Stadium.

Ace High fired Town in front in the first half, but minutes after the second half began, Ethan Moran’s 25 yard strike levelled things up, and while both sides pushed for a winner, neither could find the finishing touch required. 

Exmouth started the game off with a clear intent to put last Saturday’s defeat to Falmouth behind them, as Ben Steer got in behind the Evesham defence to earn a corner, but the following header from Mike Landricombe was comfortably saved by Jack Copland. 

The hosts would get themselves in front after 14 minutes, as Steer once again caused problems for the Robins defence, and put a cross into the path of High, who found the back of the net. 

Evesham looked to respond as Levi Steele found space to turn and shoot on goal, but it looked like Andrew Sowden-Bird made a vital save, although the referee ruled that it was a goal kick. 

Not much could separate the teams in the first half, as both sides lacked the final ball to break down each other’s defences. 

Steer continued to be a thorn in the side of the visitors, teeing up Aarron Denny to have a shot on goal, but his effort was wayward. 

The winger’s game was brought to an end before half time, as he suffered an injury from a tough challenge, and Exmouth almost scored straight from the restart, as Denny burst through on goal, only to have his shot blocked off the line by Michael O’Regan. 

Evesham started the second half by making a double change, which instantly payed off as Ethan Moran found himself in space 25 yards away from goal, and his low drive beat Sowden-Bird, and found the bottom left corner.

Ethan Slater was determined to get his second goal in as many games, as he had a shot blocked which was scrambled away for a corner, and then from that corner, he had a header drift past the post. 

Once again, both teams matched each other’s fight and quality, leading to a bit of a deadlock in the game, a few half-chances lead to each defence having to work hard, but every time they were able to do enough.

Steele forced another save out of Sowden-Bird as he found himself in plenty of space in the box, and the goalkeeper jumped on the rebound that Tom Gardner had shielded for him. 

Bradley Cox had a chance to put Town in front with ten minutes to go, after a quick free kick from Denny, but his effort was denied by Copland. 

Exmouth had the final and possibly biggest chance to seal the game in added time, with Denny finding the onrushing Slater, and with only the goalkeeper to beat, Copland once again made a crucial stop to ensure the game remained all-square. 

Town are back in action this Tuesday, as they travel to New Cuthbury to take on Wimborne Town. 


LINE-UP: Sowden-Bird, Richards, Field, Rowe, Gardner, Landricombe, Shipton, Slater, Denny, High, Steer (Cox, 45).

Subs not used: Wright, Lever, Walford, Anker. 


Reader Interactions


Leave a Reply

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website: Find out more.