A late Dan Koita strike meant Exmouth tasted defeat in the Devon Derby against Tavistock, as Town were beaten 1-0 at the Circle of Care Community Stadium.

In a game where Exmouth had the better of chances, without creating a lot of clear cut opportunities, it was the visitors who managed to snatch a winner as Koita took advantage of an error to tap in.

Ben Steer had the first opportunity of the game as he forced a save from Aaron Dearing from a free kick from 25 yards out. 

The winger would have the perfect opportunity to open the scoring as Dave Rowe passed the ball down the left flank, and Steer won the ball back from the Tavistock defence before being pushed down to earn a spot kick. 

Unfortunately, Steer penalty’s which was comfortably denied by Dearing down on his left side.

Exmouth lined up with a similar pressing approach to last week’s win, and it was paying dividends as Ace High won the ball in midfield, and playing it to Steer, who cut inside and his shot was directly at Dearing. 

A corner from Town saw a bit of chaos in the box, but the Tavistock defence stood tall to deny both High and Mike Landricombe. 

The visitors did threaten at times, as both Owen Prichard and Liam Prynn got shots off from range, but the shot was wide. 

Dearing was forced into action again, with Dean Billingsley outmuscling a Tavistock defender and laying the ball off to Callum Shipton, who drilled an effort towards goal which was well-saved. 

Aarron Denny started the second half well, by drilling the ball across goal, but his cross wasn’t met, before Steer got a hold of the ball and shot over the bar.

Mike Landricombe could and possibly should have made it 1-0 as a Town corner found him unmarked in the box, but his header floated past the post. 

Corner’s were a threat for Town, and they almost had a great chance as Dave Rowe headed the ball down into the path of Jordan Harris, but the striker couldn’t get it under control and it fell into the arms of Dearing. 

The game completely lost it’s rhythm after an hour, with neither side able to create anything of note until the 80th minute, when Harris played through Levi Landricombe, but Dearing made an excellent stop to deny the striker. 

With just three minutes to go, Tavistock would take the lead, as an Alex Battle shot bobbled up and hit Sowden-Bird and Koita was first to react as he burst through and tapped into the empty net.

Exmouth couldn’t muster up another chance and the game ended in defeat for Town, who will hope to bounce back at home next weekend, as they host Malvern Town.


LINE-UP – Sowden-Bird, M.Landricombe, Rowe, Gardner (Harris, 56), Field, Slater (Lever, 89), Shipton, Denny, Steer, High, Billingsley (L.Landricombe, 56).

SUBS NOT USED: Powell, Cann



Reader Interactions

Leave a Reply

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website: Find out more.