A poor second half display from Exmouth Town saw them beaten 3-1 by Malvern Town, at the Circle of Care Community Stadium. 

Town took the lead in the first half, via a superb Ben Steer lob, but the visitors came to life in the second half and punished the hosts’ with two goals from Jordan Annear and one from Ben Hayes.

It was certainly not a exciting start to the game, but a competitive one, which Exmouth started off the better team after a slow 15 minutes for both sides.

Ethan Slater had the first shot, but that was sent into orbit, followed by Aarron Denny playing through Steer, who was met by Archie Burford and he was able to shut down the angle to minimise the danger. 

Steer would get the better of Burford after 26 minutes, as a ball played back to the goalkeeper was headed out, straight into the path of the winger, whose lobbed effort found the back of the net from 25 yards out.

Malvern started to threaten after the goal, and some great last ditch defending from Josh Cann, Dave Rowe and Ace High prevented a corner from finding it’s way in.

Steer could have had a brace, as Robbie Powell’s goal kick over the Malvern defence, and into his path, but the winger’s second lob was wide of the post.

The visitors started to show signs of what was to come, as Hayes had a cross head goal bound, and it was denied by Powell who reacted brilliantly to force it wide. 

Levi Landricombe almost ended the half with a goal but his effort was wide of the goal.

Malvern started the second half with plenty of attacking intent, and if it was not for Cann, it would have been level after the full-back had to make an important interception to prevent a shot from beating Powell.

They would get their equaliser eight minutes after the break, when Jordan Annear beat the Town goalkeeper to the ball and head into the back of the net. 

Steer had a good chance to relieve Town of the oncoming Malvern pressure, as Mike Landricombe flicked the ball into him, but the onrushing Burford denied him from getting a second.

It was the visitors who would come to Town’s rescue in the 69th minute, as Annear got onto the wrong side of Rowe, but a sliding Malvern player denied a shot on goal.

Unfortunately, the Hillsiders carried on their momentum and got in front as Jack Watts fired the ball across goal, into the path of Hayes who tapped in from close range.

With eight minutes to go, Denny came close to getting Town an equaliser, as a free-kick fell into his path, but the crossbar was on hand to deny him.

It just was not clicking for Exmouth in attack, finding themselves unable to create much in open play, leading to Malvern finding the space to create good opportunities.

One of those opportunities lead to a corner, which was headed off the line by Mark Lever, but they would get a fired as Watts dribbled around the Town defence before playing it to Annear who sealed it for the visitors.

Exmouth will be back in action next Saturday as they travel to Yate Town.


LINE-UP: Powell, M.Landricombe, Rowe, Farkins, Cann (Lever, 79), Slater, Shipton, Denny, High, Steer, L.Landricombe.  

SUBS NOT USED: Sowden-Bird, Riddell, Hill, Billingsley.


Reader Interactions

Leave a Reply

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website: Find out more.