A heart-breaking late equaliser extends Exmouth Town’s wait for a home league win this season, as they were held to a 1-1 draw by Westbury United. 

Tom Bath marked his first start with a goal, but after Aarron Denny’s second yellow card, the visitors rallied for an eqaualiser, and got it through Ricky Hulbert.

Westbury started the stronger, after a corner lead to William Thomson getting a shot off from range, which was off target. 

After a slow first 15 minutes, Exmouth started to build their momentum and had a good chance to open the scoring as Dave Rowe smashed a header into the path of Nelson Iseguan, who picked out Ben Steer, but the winger took it too far wide and had to lay it back to Iseguan, and his shot found the path of Bath but he couldn’t divert it in.

It was certainly gearing up to be a feisty encounter, with plenty of fouls and confrontations throughout the game. 

Town would open the scoring, as a superb tackle from Rowe allowed Denny and Steer to link up, and the latter found the head of Bath, whose header hit the crossbar, bounced off the goalkeeper and went in. 

Exmouth would continue to push as they found more success out wide, this time Steer picked out Iseguan, but he couldn’t get his header on target.

Louis Morison fired a powerful effort towards goal, which deflected out for a corner which Mike Landricombe got his head onto, although the shot coasted wide.

The visitors started the second half the better side, and should have equalised after 49 minutes, as Bevan Cross was left unmarked but he failed to divert his header goalwards.

There was another let-off for Exmouth, as a free-lick was headed home by captain Ryan Bole, but he was ruled offside.

Town would have the perfect opportunity to go 2-0 up, after Iseguan was brought down in the box, but Morison’s penalty bounced off the post and was eventually cleared.

Exmouth would go down to ten men with 22 minutes to go, as Denny’s alleged high boot led to him receiving his yellow card. 

Westbury built plenty of momentum but Town kept strong, preventing the visitors from finding any clear chances. 

This was until the 87th minute, when a free-kick bounced around and fell into the path of Hulbert, who fired past Sowden-Bird to level the game up.

Exmouth, a man down, were galvanised to fight back, and Morison almost got the winner as he belted a free-kick off the bar.

Town’s continued momentum led to a penalty shout, which led to the dismissal of manager Kevin Hill, which was followed by Morison’s late goal was disallowed as Jonathan Hill was deemed to have been fouled.

It wasn’t to be for Town, who welcome a cup distraction this week as they take on Cullompton this Wednesday in the Devon Bowl.


LINE-UP: Sowden-Bird, Field, Rowe, M.Landricombe, High, Shipton (Lever, 71), Morison, Denny, Steer (Walford, 91), Iseguan, Bath (L.Landricombe, 89).

SUBS NOT USED: Riddell, Cann.

Reader Interactions


  1. Brian Barnden says

    ETFC unscored penalties could relegate the club. I can’t understand why a group of paid players find it so difficult to score from 12 yards. The taker knows what he’s going to do with the ball, the keeper has to guess!!

Leave a Reply

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website: Find out more.