Photo by Gerry Hunt (@GerryHunt19)

Exmouth Town’s wait for a home win continues, as despite a spirited effort, they were beaten 3-2 by Cribbs FC at the Circle of Care Community Stadium.

Tom Bath put Town in front, but goals from Daniel Stoneman and David Duru put Cribbs in front, and while Tom Gardner got it back to 2-2, Duru got the winner.

It was an even start to the game, with Bath having an overhead kick go wide being the main chance of the first 10.

Mike Landricombe made an important interception, as some quick link-up play between Stoneham and Duru almost created a clear chance, until the defender got in the way.

After a superb save from Sowden-Bird to deny Duru, McIntosh Boyd had to make an important stop prevent Bath getting Town ahead, as he got on to Levi Landricombe’s drilled cross.

With 24 minutes gone, the hosts took the lead as Ace High’s lofted ball was headed perfectly into the path of Tom Bath by Landricombe, and the striker rounded Boyd before his shot rolled into the back of the net. 

Cribbs would recover from that, and after Stoneham had a half-chance on goal, he was able to level the game, as from a similar angle, his low and powerful effort beat Sowden-Bird.

Town would not be able to do the same, with the visitors controlling the rest of the half, and David Duru was able to send his side ahead, as he caught Exmouth on the break, before beating Gardner, and cleverly slotting past the goalkeeper. 

Duru continued to be a real threat as he got the better of Dave Rowe, and found Jacob Brown, but Sowden-Bird made a good save to keep it at 2-1. 

Despite a decent start to the second half, Town could not stop the Cribbs striker, as he once again got the better of the skipper, but he fired wide of the goal.

Rowe had a chance to get Town level, as a long throw fell to his feet, but the tight angle and plenty of defenders around him, meant he could only find the side-netting.

Exmouth did continue to build and they got back level thanks to Gardner, as a scramble in the box saw the ball fall into the path of the centre-back, and his shot squeezed over the line.

Unfortunately, Town would only be level for seven minutes, as Duru once again got in behind after a header went straight into his path, and the striker finished well past Sowden-Bird. 

Exmouth tried to create chances to equalise, but Cribbs held firm and prevented any real threatening efforts on their goal, as they held onto the 3-2 win.


LINE-UP: Sowden-Bird, Cann, M.Landricombe, Rowe (Walford, 86), Gardner, Denny, Morison, Iseguan, High, Bath, L.Landricombe (Steer, 73).

SUBS NOT USED: Field, Slater, Lever. 

Reader Interactions

Leave a Reply

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website: Find out more.