Photo by Gerry Hunt (@GerryHunt19)

A stunning second half performance saw Exmouth Town earn their first home Southern League Division One South game of the season, as they stormed to a 5-0 win against Larkhall Athletic.

Four headers and a free-kick from Mike Landricombe, Ace High and Levi Landricombe respectively meant that Exmouth returned the result they were dealt in the return fixture.

Exmouth started the first half with plenty of energy, and had the first chance of the game when Joe Belsten’s free-kick was blocked into Aarron Denny’s path, and after a one-two with the full-back, it was crossed into Steer whose header was just over the bar.

Larkhall looked to have their own chances as the Town defence struggled to get the ball clear, but the amount of bodies back for the hosts meant there was no way through.

The visitors may have felt hard done by moments later, as it appeared that Dave Rowe brought down Dawid Regula in the box, but nothing was given and Archie Ferris blasted the ball over.

Exmouth could and possibly should have opened the scoring after 25 minutes, as Steer beat his man on the right wing and drilled across goal towards the onrushing Shipton, but he just missed the ball.

Steer continued to cause problems when drifting out wide, when Merson Ham found him with an excellent pass, but his effort was straight at Arthur Nasta.

Not known for his aerial ability, Steer came close with another header following High’s cross, unfortunately he could not keep it down.

Larkhall had their best chance of the game as a sleepy start to the second half led to Harvey Pritchard getting around Chris Wright, but his shot could only find the side-netting.

That huge let-off was potentially a sign that the luck Town have missed this season was finally on their side, and just six minutes later, the hosts had the lead.

A Belsten cross was missed by Nasta, and Landricombe was on hand to divert his header into the back of the net. 

Town and more particularly Landricombe would not stop there, as he doubled Town’s lead with an almost carbon copy of the first, as the defender found himself in the right place to head home.

Crosses proved to be Larkhall’s kryptonite as a ball swung into the far post, where High was stood unmarked and waiting to put his header into the back of the net.

Three headers simply were not enough for a hungry Town side and after another delivery to the far post, a criminally unmarked High was allowed plenty of space to grab his second of the game.

Perhaps jealous of his brother, Landricombe wanted to get in on the act, and he came very close to doing so as he fired an effort from the edge of the box, only to be denied by the post. 

Tom Bath almost rounded off an excellent home performance when he chased down a long ball and poked past the goalkeeper, only for his shot to be the wrong side of the post.

Town would get their fifth of the game in spectacular fashion as Landricombe would get his goal, as he fired a free-kick from 30 yards out, and it snuck through the hands of Nasta and into the back of the net.

It was a superb display from Exmouth, who battled from start to finish and were relentless from set pieces.


LINE-UP: Wright, Cann, Belsten, M.Landricombe, Rowe, Ham, Shipton, Slater, Denny, Steer (L.Landricombe), High (Bath).


Reader Interactions

Leave a Reply

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website: Find out more.