Photo by Gerry Hunt (@GerryHunt19)

Exmouth Town earned an important three points at the A-Class Arena, as they beat Bemerton Heath Harlequins 3-0 in the Southern League Division One South.

Two goals from Tom Bath and a Callum Shipton strike meant that Town’s survival hopes increase, moving five points clear of bottom side Paulton.

Ben Steer had the first chance of the game when he burst through on goal, but he shot wide of the goal.

The first half was a slow starter, with Exmouth being the slightly better side but no one creating anything worthwhile.

Steer and Aarron Denny, worked well with Shipton to create a good chance for Ethan Slater, but he had his shot deflected wide. 

Bemerton started to work their way back into the game as Dan Young got in behind the Town defence, however he sliced his shot well wide of the goal.

George Britton was next to try his luck, but his shot was straight at Chris Wright.

Town started to rebuild momentum before the end of the first half, as a mistake allowed Steer through on goal, but a strong save from Patrick Creese denied him.

Young had another chance to open the scoring as he got in-between the two defenders and put a header towards goal which missed the target.

There was a controversial decision right at the end of the first 45, as a long ball found the run of Steer, who put the ball in the back of the net, but he was adjudged to be offside.

Bemerton Heath were sent out early before the second half, and they started the better of the two sides.

Their best chance of the half came from Charlie Burden, as a cross dipped straight into the defender’s path, but Wright was there to make an important stop.

Muhammed Jatta added some spark to the home attack, and he caused Town some problems down the right hand side, and he fizzed the ball into Brendan Holmes, but he got his shot all wrong.

With 67 minutes gone, Town opened the scoring, as the ball fell into the path of Callum Shipton, who fired a shot towards goal and with the help of a deflection, beat the goalkeeper to put Town in front.

Exmouth used that momentum to keep pressuring Bemerton Heath, and almost had a second as Steer found Denny, but his half-volley was wide.

It would not take Town that much longer to double their lead, as two excellent flicks allowed Steer through on goal, and he made the correct decision to square it to Bath, who tucked it into the empty net.

With Exmouth completely in the ascendancy, Denny tried another half-volley on goal, which was closer but still wide.

Not satisfied with just trying at one end, the Town number seven fired a swerving effort towards Wright in a strange turn of events, which was luckily dealt with by the goalkeeper.

Exmouth would seal the game with seven minutes to go, as Denny did really well to create a chance for Bath, who slotted past Creese for his third goal in two games. 

Town defended strongly to earn a clean sheet, backed by a boisterous away support, whose noise kept the visitors going throughout the second half.

Exmouth can take their momentum into next weekend’s game against Willand Rovers at the Circle of Care Community Stadium.

LINE-UP: Wright, Cann, Belsten, M.Landricombe, Gardner, Ham (Lever, 66), Slater, Shipton, Denny, Bath (High, 87), Steer (Mead, 90).

SUBS NOT USED: Haynes, Hill. 

Reader Interactions

Leave a Reply

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website: Find out more.