Photo by Gerry Hunt (@GerryHunt19)

Exmouth Town battled hard for a deserved point against Frome Town at the Circle of Care Community Stadium, as they drew 0-0 on a windy afternoon.

Both sides had good chances to find a winner, but a draw will do for the hosts.

Understandably in the wet and windy conditions, neither side started the game with much attacking threat, as both sides struggled to find the quality required to create an opportunity.

Kyle Phillips was the first goalkeeper to be tested, as Tom Bath cut inside on the edge of the box, but the shot could only force a routine stop.

Callum Shipton, who has found a goalscoring side recently, almost broke the net with a fierce effort from range, as the effort flew just over the crossbar.

Frome had their first foray on goal after a quarter of the game, when Alexander Monks had a long range effort denied by Tom Gardner, and while the shout bounced into the Town box, it was eventually dealt with.

Exmouth had their best chance of the half through Bath, as Aarron Denny played Ethan Slater down the left hand side, who then squared into the box, and the striker got on the end of the number seven’s dummy, before smashing the ball against the underside of the crossbar. 

The visitors then had their best opportunity of the first 45, when a floated cross saw James Ollis beat Chris Wright to the ball, but the header bounced wide.

Town would have a good headed chance on the counter attack, when Denny brought the ball from his own half into the final third, and his cross found Slater, who could only head over from close range.

An unfortunate Shipton head injury almost had Town in front, as from the restart, Joe Belsten crossed the ball into Ace High who took the ball down before firing over the bar.

Exmouth continued to put the pressure on as Denny found Bath’s run through on goal, but after going one-on-one with Phillips, the striker could not sort his feet out to put an effort on goal.

It was the side in 17th who looked more likely to open the scoring, when a superb save from Phillips prevented Denny’s goal bound strike at the near post from going in.

Frome were looking for the three points, and started to put the pressure onto Town, who defended resiliently to keep them out.

They probably should have taken the lead with 12 minutes of normal time remaining, as Ollis found himself through on goal, and after his shot bounced off Wright and straight into his path, two heroic goal-saving tackles from Belsten and Gardner.

Exmouth had one last chance in added time, when Bath found Ben Steer, whose shot was low and it looked headed into the path Denny until Phillips deflected it wide.

It was a good point from an Exmouth perspective, who move further clear of the relegation place.

Town will next be back in action this Tuesday, as they travel to Westbury in a huge midweek clash.


LINE-UP: Wright, Cann, Belsten, Gardner, Landricombe, Ham, Slater, Shipton (Lever, 86), Denny, High (Steer, 74), Bath.

SUBS NOT USED: Haynes, Mead, Rowe.

Reader Interactions

Leave a Reply

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website: Find out more.