Photo by Gerry Hunt (@GerryHunt19)

A poor second half saw Exmouth Town beaten 2-1 by Paulton Rovers at the Circle of Care Community Stadium.

Tom Bath’s header put the hosts in front, but goals from Leighton Thomas and Milo Murgatroyd ensured a turn-around for the Robins.

The visitors started the stronger, and perhaps should have lead after seven minutes, when Jarmani Langlais got on the end of a low cross, but he could only divert wide.

Daniel McBeam had two efforts at goal, one straight at Chris Wright, while the other was wide following a threatening counter attack.

Town would start to grow into the game, as a deep Josh Cann corner found Ace High, who rose highest to head towards goal, but Aaron Parsons was there to deny him on the goal-line.

A quarter of the way through, Exmouth would take the lead, when High picked out Bath, whose bullet header flew past Frankie Phillips.

The rest of the half flattered to deceive, with both sides failing to put any sort of quality together that could lead to a good quality chance on goal.

Dave Rowe made sure it stayed 1-0 at the break, as Leo Eglin curled an effort towards goal which looked goalbound, until the captain blocked the shot.

Town were quick out of the blocks in the second half, with a well worked team move ending with Cann firing past the goalkeeper, but the full-back was ruled offside.

Bath had a chance to get his second through another High cross, although some good goalkeeping from Phillips would put an end to that.

Steer had a free-kick out wide that went close, but that would be the end of Exmouth’s chances in the second half.

Rovers levelled the game up as Town failed to deal clear things up following a chance for Langlais, leading to another chance moments later which saw Thomas in a plenty of space, which he took advantage of, firing past Wright.

Town almost pegged them back, when High played through Steer and that saw a cross go into the box which looked destined for the right foot of Bath, but Phillips was out first to deny him.

Edward Butcher caused Town some problems on the wing, as he found Thomas who fired wide of the mark.

Exmouth were hanging on, but they were broken down after 77 minutes, when Murgatroyd picked up the ball just outside the box, twisted past his man and snuck the ball past Wright and into the bottom corner.

Town would try and mount an attack to equalise, but the quality that has been shown in the second half of the season, was not on display this afternoon.

Exmouth have their final game of the season on Tuesday evening, when they make the long journey down to Mousehole.

LINE-UP: Wright, Cann (Mead, 76), Belsten, Gardner, Rowe, Ham (Lever, 84), Slater, Denny, Steer (Haynes, 76), High, Bath.

SUBS NOT USED: Shipton, Powell

Reader Interactions

Leave a Reply

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website: Find out more.