Photo by Gerry Hunt (@GerryHunt19)

It was a tough opening period for Exmouth Town, who ended the first three months with one league win to their name.

The signings of Louis Morison and Nelson Iseguan had boosted hopes, as well as the addition of striker Tom Bath which bolstered the forward line.

Did the new arrivals have an effect? 

Let’s take a look…


The first game of the month will probably be seen as the most controversial one of the entire campaign, as Town were held to a 1-1 draw by Westbury.

Bath scored his first goal in a blue shirt in the first half, but a harsh red card to Aarron Denny, as well as Kevin Hill’s dismissal led to opposing manager Ricky Hulbert scoring a late equaliser.

Comments after the game saw the Town manager suspended, although that would not come into effect for a few months.

After a 3-1 win against Cullompton in the Devon Bowl, their was some optimism heading into a trip to Larkhall Athletic, but climbing the steep hill to arrive at the ground was not going to be the toughest thing that day, as Town were trounced 5-0.

It was a tough watch, where Exmouth forgot how to defend, and by the time they remembered how to attack, it didn’t matter.

The visit of Cribbs, who had taken the league by storm, did not look awfully encouraging, but similar to the Manor Farm game, it was an individual display from David Duru that meant the hosts left with zero points.


December started with a change of staff, as Jordan McCormick left the club and in came Dave Pearse, who was fresh from a spell at Bridgwater, where his departure was met with uproar from fans of the Somerset side. 

Unfortunately, Town winless run continued, as they took Frome Town to their limits, but a missed penalty proved costly, as they were beaten 2-1.

Missing from 12 yards had become a common theme throughout the season, as Town had many opportunities to go ahead or even further ahead, but every time they just couldn’t find the mark.

It was an early relegation six pointer in their next game, as they made the visit to Paulton Rovers, but once again a missed penalty proved to be the deciding action, as a poor second half display was punished by a late Dan Restorick header.

With Evesham United up next, spirits were not the highest, however Town would show up in a big way, surprising a lot of people as they ran out 4-2 winners at the Spiers & Hartwell Stadium.

It was an excellent display, and it looked like the start of a genuine turnaround in Exmouth’s fortunes, as on Boxing Day, they were held to a 2-2 draw by Mousehole.


Despite raised belief amongst the Exmouth camp, they would start the new year with on a rough note, being thrashed 4-1 by league leaders Wimborne.

Town would fight back in their next fixture, when they took to Langsford Park to take on rivals Tavistock.

A brace from Tom Bath, including a penalty, earned Hill’s side a much needed win, and a satisfying clean sheet which also featured an outstanding save from Chris Wright to keep it at 2-0.

Merson Ham and Jacob Mead would arrive after this game, with the defensive midfielder and full-back adding important depth to the team.

Yate Town were on a resurgent run in the Southern League Division One South, and after escaping a clear penalty following Nicholas McCootie’s goal-line save, they went on to beat Town 2-1.

Exmouth were still rooted to the bottom of the table, but with new signings coming in, there was hope for the rest of 2024.

Reader Interactions

Leave a Reply

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website: Find out more.